WE HAVE AN ALL VOLUNTEER STAFF
Due to low number’s of volunteers, starting March 4th 2019 the Listening Ear will be reducing the availability of services from 24 hours to 12
hours; 2pm-2am daily, EST.
While we regret the need for this change, we feel prioritizing our
volunteer hours to cover the busiest times and when other agencies are
closed is of primary importance.
If you are in need of assistance between 2am-2pm EST, please contact:
• Your local Community Mental Health (CMH) organization
• Call 1-800-273-TALK for suicide prevention or
• In case of an emergency-call 911
We look forward to training more volunteers soon and returning to
providing 24 hour services. For more information on volunteering, please see the Volunteer Tab!
Volunteers receive more than 60 hours of training before ever picking up the phone. All director and coordinator positions are filled by volunteers. Many staff members choose to receive additional training in order to join our sexual assault counseling staff or to become trainers themselves.
Our volunteers are trained to deal with crises that include depression, suicide, loneliness, sexual assault, grief, and many others. We also provide referrals for services throughout the Lansing area.
Upcoming New Volunteer Training Dates
April 6th-7th, 11th-14th see Volunteer page for details
- Crisis line: +1 517 337 1717
- Business line (voicemail only): +1 517 337 1728
We have been open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year since July 15, 1969 to provide free and confidential service for telephone and walk-in clients in crisis.
- East Lansing’s Crystal Award (2003)
- Named 113th of 1000 Points of Light for our “outstanding efforts in behalf of [the] community” by President George Bush (1990)